Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Wheedles

In my character design class we were given a written prompt for an old sea captain with a peg leg on his left leg below the knee who is completely bald and what little hair he does have is gray.  
He is bronzed from long voyages and has gentle blue eyes. 


At first I just played around with different styles in head studies,
 then moved on to full figure proportions.





I felt like this fella had the most potential to be an 
old salt yet still have kindness in his eyes.  




While this guy had a great coat that I really wanted to stick with.








Once I established what posture I was after I settled on making a full comp of the character, 
really playing with the balance of positive and negative space created by the twisting rope.



 Captain Wheedles is a character from one of the Oz sequels.

No comments:

Post a Comment